I like description in threes (she’s a lean, mean, fighting machine who needs a tall, cool, and frothy pint of beer…doesn’t that just flow?), and lists in fives (the last five fruits I’ve eaten have been grapefruits, oranges, grapes, peaches, and strawberries…just gives enough variety to get to know a person and their tastes), so five random things it is! Just to have some sort of outlet from my randomness, I’ll save them up to be a decent chunk of post instead of just an offhand “Hmmm, I went to the store today and saw the cutest little mini-peaches called donut peaches“.
1. Tuesday’s run was a new personal (adult) best mile run time of 8:55. I’m only 1:05 away from my best time ever, 7:50, which was in junior high school. I’m improving between 5-10 seconds most weeks, so I’m not too far away until I hit a wall.
2. I just watched The Big Lebowski for the first time. Yeah, I know, I’m terribly late to the party. What an awesome movie. Some days, I just wish I could be the Dude… totally oblivious and in a white-russian-and-illicit-substance fog. Someone at least needs to bring the wearing of bathrobes as a overcoat into style.
3. Tuesday also was my first day at the new gym. There are soooo many machines, it’s unfathomable that they could ever all be full, but I’m used to the office gym which has one treadmill, a bike, a rickety elipse which I won’t touch, and a perpetually broken stairmaster. I did go around 6:30, so I’ll see if I change my tune today when I head there closer to 5. The funniest thing is – they have alarms on the weights, so if you drop them, it makes this obnoxious air horn sound (trying to embarrass the lunkheads who grunt and drop weights, the gym is all about not being pretentious). This guy would totally do it on purpose. I’m totally frightened that I’ll do it on accident.
4. Had a great conversation with an ex-coworker of Zliten’s Wednesday night. I love talking psychology with people that can talk it back – it totally wakes my brain up. It’s also incredibly inspiring to hear about someone who beat the odds just by getting into his own head and solving the problem. Totally reinforces my ideals that people can do amazing things just by giving their mind a chance. This has totally started the wheels spinning for a post or series of posts, but worthy of note immediately.
5. Why is frozen fruit just so good? I had a snack of frozen strawberries and frozen grapes last night while I was waiting for Zliten to decide he was hungry enough to grill us some dinnah. Amazing. And they don’t go bad! I’ve had these grapes for 3 weeks now and they are as delicious as when I first got them. Seriously, if you’re having issues with sweet cravings or just want something quick that doesn’t go bad and is healthy for you – frozen fruit, baby.