…is how I’m getting through the last 15 minutes of the day. Just letting you know where I’m at mentally so you can excuse the absence of any cohesive thought. Dropping by to simply let everyone know that I have not abandoned the blog to go live in a hippie commune or anything. It’s been a good, but busy week, so I’m going to leave you with a numbered list of random things as I like to do when my wits are not about me.
1. This was a post this week that made me think – Charlotte at the Great Fitness Experiment ranted and raved about hating food. While I don’t agree with her vehement hatred of food (mine is more of a love/hate relationship…), I totally understand the sentiment. It definitely takes a lot of finagling and negotiation to eat like a healthy human without being a social outcast or having willpower of steel. It’s so hard to know with all the research out there what to do. Live longer by starving yourself? But wait, overweight people live longer too. I think the key is to figure out what works for you without making yourself too crazy, and hold onto it tightly. I’m at a point right now where I can quantify what’s working. I just need to keep going. This is just as easy and terrifyingly difficult as it sounds. I think this is worth a post in and of itself later, but who knows when I’ll get to such things…
2. I am also experiencing that magical day of the month where I’m tired as hell on 9 hours of sleep, grumpy, feel (and I’m sure look) like I’m smuggling a watermelon in my belly, and just want to lay on the couch. Of course, since it’s Friday, I have a full day of work, then a 10k run, abs, and then a bbq to run off to tonight. I’m thinking a compromise – workin’ it out on the arc trainer instead of pavement pounding in the 85 and humid weather, and seeing if’n I perk up a bit later or if not – the commute is easy home from next door (it’s nice to have cool neighbors that like to hang out).
3. Normally, you would think that a rest day combined with a large hamburger and fries would be bad. Usually, I can tell when I make a bad body decision, and this was not it. I’ve been very “ying” lately – eating rabbit food, moving moderately for decent amounts of time every day… I ate that WHOLE burger and LARGE order of fries and sat on the couch all night and got my “yang” on and my body felt WONDERFUL. Today, I’m back at it, but sometimes, you just need what you need.
4. Of all the things that I have been slacking on lately, it’s water consumption. I’ve been finding that I’m at about 20 oz by the end of my work day because I forget to fill my water glass again. I really need to be better about it. Doing good today though, at least 8 glasses down by the end of this big cup. I can’t think of the last time I’ve actually had to be conscious about hydration…
5. Our iguana is doing much better! She’s been to the vet for checkups every week, and they say she is healing nicely. She should be able to get her “cast” off the stitches in her hand next week so we can give her baths again (which she will be sooooo happy about), and where they opened her up to scoop all her girly insides out is also healing well. She has been eating now like it’s her job to get fatter (and that also means pooping like a champ). I can’t wait until we can bring her out and play with her again and let her run around the house like we used to.
6. Plans for this weekend: tons of yardwork Saturday. I was feeling pretty bleh about that until I found out how many calories various yard worky things burn and I got excited. Yes, something is very wrong with me, I’m aware of that. Hopefully something superfun Sunday but nothing planned yet. Rock climbing? Epic walk? Just vegging and seeing a movie? Who knows.
7. I finally went shopping! I purchased one long sleeve green tie dye tee I loooove, a new black tee that fits properly (since I have one that’s a wee bit too small and one that’s too big), a new pair of pinstripe pants (to replace the ones that I shrank out of 2 sizes ago), a pair of brown pants (which are my new faves – can you say HOTASS? …and Mrs. Fatass, I’m totally thinking of you here with this usage). I purchased a new pair of brown platforms which are about 4.5 inches tall, fairly comfy, and I love them. I also found a replacement pair of black comfy-enough-to-walk-a-mile-in-but-dressy-enough-to-wear-with-anything shoes. THOSE were hard to find. The only fail? I bought my first pair of skinny jeans, and tried to apply boots on top of them? The legs are too baggy. So back to the drawing board there. I love the waist/butt part so I have a feeling they will become the comfiest pair of cutoffs I have ever worn come summer. Can anyone suggest a brand of skinny jeans (I’m talking skintight here, no slack on the legs) that doesn’t expose my naughty bits because they’re cut so low? Just below the waist please.
8. It’s vacay season coming up! I’ve had a long hard 7 months with nary a vacation, and I’ve got quite a few short jaunts coming up. Next weekend, we head up just outside Dallas for the Warrior Dash, then going to stay the night at a hotel in Dallas somewhere for some wining and dining and general pamperage. June is South Padre Island for some waterpark, watersports, and good times. July 4th weekend is driving to the Ozarks for a friend’s wedding and weekend of revelry. Mid Sept is another jaunt to Vegas. Then, we take a little break, and there should be a cruise in there sometime in the winter. Yeah, it’s not the honeymoon in Europe I was thinking, but it will tide me over until we have time for that…
I think that’s about it. Have a great weekend! What’s up in your neck of the woods? Hate food? Love vacations? Have any skinny jeans suggestions for me – seriously, I’ve been looking for a year…
I feel the same way about water consumption. I am working on getting 1-2L a day and I feel much better for it.
Also, the food thing. I LOVED the honesty of Charlotte’s post, but I didn’t agree with all of it either. I’ve been there and have had to try to work through it too. Lately, I’ve been eating 200 calories or so more per day and dropping weight because of it. I may have been consuming too few for the training. Time will tell.
Say hi to the city of Dallas for me. I LOVE it there and am thinking of doing their Rock n Roll half next March.
great post as usual!